Is yoga for weight loss really effective for your case? If you still have not found the answer, let’s explore the useful information with easyhealthylive.com in this article.
When will you lose weight?
Your weight loss journey will begin when your calorie intake is less than your calorie burn. To lose weight effectively, you should make sure you control both the energy you take in and the energy you take out for basic activities of the day.
Of course, you should eat healthy, healthy foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat, high-fiber foods, and make sure to drink at least 2 liters of water a day. .
Does yoga really help you lose weight?
Yoga effectively supports weight loss because when practicing, the body must move and stretch, from which the muscles will develop more. Many people think that the weight loss effect of yoga will not be as fast as arobic.
However, in reality, practitioners will lose 240 calories in an hour of basic yoga and lose 400 more calories for more difficult exercises. Thus, practitioners can still burn calories thanks to yoga every day without being “excited” like aerobics or jogging.
7 safe and effective hatha yoga exercises for weight loss
1. Plank Pose
The plank position can be one of the best ways to strengthen your inner strength. At first you may not do it very well. However, as soon as you perform this weight loss hatha yoga exercise, you can feel its effect on the abdominal muscles.
Subtle posture adjustments can greatly increase the intensity. Practicing this movement every day will help your abs to be firmer and stiffer.
- Start in a push-up position with arms straight, hands as pillars. Eyes are directed forward. The body forms a straight line from neck to toe
- 2 legs supported by toes
- Hold this position for about 15-20 seconds, even longer depending on your ability. Keep your breathing even and rhythmic. Note the tightening of the abdominal muscles
- To finish the movement, slowly lower your arms so that your body touches the floor
2. Warrior Pose II (virabhadrasana B)
You can tone the muscles in your thighs and shoulders like a strong warrior with warrior II. To get the most out of the pose, try to bend your knees so that your thighs are parallel to the floor. The longer you hold this weight loss hatha yoga pose, the tighter the quartet in the body will be.
The secret to successful implementation of this pose is to control your mind and pay attention to your breathing. Remind yourself that you are a warrior.
- Start in mountain pose (tadasana). Exhale, step left foot about 90 – 120 cm (depending on the length of your leg and how open your hips)
- Place your left foot parallel to the width of the mat and let your right heel and left heel align. Press the heel of the back foot firmly into the mat to avoid a bent position.
- Inhale, raise your arms along your body, keeping them parallel to the floor, palms down. Turn your eyes towards the middle finger of your right hand and relax your shoulders
- Bend right knee deep and in line with right ankle. Keep your shins perpendicular to the floor
- Open your pelvis to the left side of the mat and keep your back straight with your tailbone down
- Hold the pose for 5-10 breaths. On an inhale, extend your front leg and exhale to lower your arm. Do the same with the other side.
3. Warrior pose III (virabhadrasana C)
Warrior pose III is one of the hatha yoga poses for weight loss that works to tighten the glutes. In addition to toning the lower back, it also strengthens the back, legs, and arms.
To be more successful, pull your abs in as you do this pose. This not only helps the practitioner keep balance, but also helps the abdomen “flatter”. The longer you hold Warrior III, the better for your glutes.
- Start in mountain pose (tadasana), with your legs parallel and hip-distance apart. Place your left foot on the mat with 4 corners of contact – big toe, little toe and 2 corners of the heel.
- Inhale and then slowly raise your straight arm up. As you exhale, begin to straighten your right leg back, shifting your weight back to your left leg.
- Keep the right leg bent and active (toes pointing down) and feel the flow of energy through the right foot and then push out with the heel.
- Raise right thigh high and drop right hip down to make sure it stays level with left leg
- Incorporate the left thigh muscle to keep the leg stable without locking or overlapping the left knee. Keep your legs as straight as possible
- Move your torso so that it’s parallel to the floor. Keep abs low for upper body stability
- The head is looking down and the neck is relaxed. Hold the pose for about 5-10 breaths
- To come out of the pose, slowly bring your right foot toward your left foot and return to an upright position. Do the same with the other side.
4. Downward-Facing Dog Pose
Are you looking for a way to tone your body? So don’t be too quick to ignore the downward facing dog pose. This hatha yoga exercise focuses on certain muscles, moving from a resting position to a pose that strengthens the arms, back, and thighs.
To tone your muscles as much as possible, engage your thighs as you rotate your thighs inward. Besides, do not forget to keep breathing even and press your hands and heels into the floor.
- Perform a kneeling position on 2 legs and 2 hands. 2 Knees hip-width apart and arms shoulder-width apart with fingers spread
- Inhale and lift your knees off the floor, putting pressure on your hands
- Extend your legs as far as possible so that your heels touch the floor and exhale
- The back, head and hands form a plane. Keep the hips towards the center
- Maintain posture and steady breathing. Do the pose for as long as possible
5. Shoulder Stand
The shoulder stand is a hatha yoga exercise that can improve digestion, treat thyroid, and even increase strength. This inversion pose balances thyroid levels, boosts metabolism, improves respiratory system, and strengthens the upper body, legs, and abs.
From there, the practitioner will sleep better and deeper. This is also considered a weight loss hatha yoga move that is worth trying. Add this hatha yoga move to your daily routine and you’ll feel like a whole new person.
- Start in a supine position with your hands by your sides. Then, bend your knees, place the soles of your feet on the floor
- Exhale, start contracting your abs and press your arms into the floor to lift your legs and lift your back off the floor. Pull the front thighs towards the chest
- Bend your elbows and place your hands under your low back. Palms spread wide to support the body. Continue lifting your hips until they overlap directly over your shoulders. The spine is relatively perpendicular to the floor
- Keep your elbows shoulder-width apart and make sure the weight is on your shoulders and arms, more than your head and neck.
- Inhale, begin to extend your knees and straighten your legs. Keep your legs close together and extend the tailbone toward the ceiling and the inside edges of the legs
- Relax your face, throat and jaw. Hold your shoulder blades against your back and move your sternum toward your chin. Eyes looking towards the chest
- Hold the pose for 5 to 15 breaths. To come out of the pose, bend your knees while exhaling and curling up and gently lowering your arms out of the pose.
6. Turning chair pose (parivrtta utkatasana)
When it comes to hatha yoga moves to lose weight, you can’t ignore the pose. This is called the yoga version of the squat, but it’s a little more powerful.
Chair Pose is a combination of the quadriceps, glutes, and abs. Twisting helps the digestive system and the lymphatic system a lot. Combining all of these into one movement is a great way to help you lose weight, get in shape.
- Perform a standing position with your back straight, legs close together and hands relaxed
- Bend your knees while bending so that your torso and thighs are parallel to the floor. 2 Extend your arms straight in front of you, clasping your hands together. Do about 2-3 breaths
- To maintain balance, put your hands on the floor. Perform a twist to the right but make sure your legs, thighs, and knees are still pointing straight.
- Raise your elbows and join your hands in prayer, your head turning in the direction you twist your body and your eyes toward your thighs. Hold the pose for 3-5 breaths.
7. Bow Pose
Are you looking for a way to burn belly fat fast? So let’s immediately refer to the bow pose – an easy weight loss hatha yoga exercise to do at home. You can go deeper into the exercise by pulling your arms and legs in the opposite direction until only your abdomen and pelvis touch the floor.
Bow pose not only helps to massage the abdominal organs to improve digestion, but the baby is a great way to strengthen the thighs, chest, and back.
- Start lying on your stomach, arms relaxed along your body, palms facing up, legs stretched back and forehead resting on the mat.
- Bend knees, bring heels to buttocks. Reach your hands back and grab the ankles. Bend your feet to protect your knees as you get into the pose
- Kick your legs hard and press your shins towards the back of the room
- Don’t let your knees come apart, keep them hip-width apart. Raise your lower body and upper thighs. Raise your heels higher from your butt to your shoulders and don’t touch your ears
- Keep your chin parallel to the floor and your eyes looking straight ahead. Breathe enough and deep
- Hold the pose for about 5 htorw beats then slowly release your legs and arms while exhaling and relaxing.
What is the best way to practice yoga to lose weight?
1. Practice time
The best time to practice yoga is early morning or late afternoon. If the desired results are quickly achieved, the practitioner should practice for at least an hour a day. Because yoga poses are not like other weight loss exercises.
This type of exercise will help burn calories with soft, flexible movements of the body. For that reason, you should practice yoga for at least an hour a day for the best effect.
2. Practice correct posture
In yoga, you will find that there are many poses from easy to difficult. To achieve the desired high weight loss effect, practitioners should perform yoga poses properly.
If you want to shorten the weight loss process, you should choose exercises with increasing difficulty. Because only difficult, advanced movements help optimal weight loss effect better.
3. Exercise regularly
Yoga can’t bring you instant weight loss. Therefore, the practitioner should have a long and persistent practice period.
You should make sure you do yoga poses for at least 5 to 6 months to feel the changes in your body. Because then, not only the weight is decreasing, but your body also becomes much more supple and soft!
10 Yoga postures for weight loss https://www.doyou.com/10-yoga-postures-for-weight-loss/ Accessed: 16/10/2020
John Alen was born in 1971 and is a doctor in the healthcare and psychology fields with many years of experience. He is currently working at easyhealthylive.com, a leading health and psychology blog. Having studied at Y1 National Medical University named after IM Sechenov, John Alen is using his knowledge and experience to help improve the physical and mental health of people in the United States.