Almost everyone realizes the importance of breathing properly. But not everyone knows all the effective breathing techniques.
Breathing exercises not only help you relieve anxiety and stress, but also strengthen lung function. Therefore, do not underestimate how to breathe in daily life. Here are 5 breathing exercises that can help you quickly eliminate fatigue and stress!
1. pursed lips breathing
This simple breathing technique helps your breathing slow down. You can practice pursed-lip breathing at any time. It is especially useful in activities such as bending and supporting the body or climbing stairs. You should do this breathing technique 4-5 times a day.
- Relax your neck and shoulders
- Close your mouth and inhale slowly through your nose for 2 seconds
- Squeeze your lips like you’re whistling
- Exhale slowly through your mouth for about 4 seconds
2. Diaphragm breathing
Performing diaphragmatic breathing exercises will help your body feel more relaxed. Do this breathing technique for about 5-10 minutes and 3-4 times per day.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your head on the pillow.
- You can put pillows under your knees for support
- Place one hand on your chest and one under your ribcage. This helps you feel the movement of your diaphragm.
- Breathe slowly through your nose, feeling your belly with your hands. Keep your hands as steady as possible.
- Exhale through your mouth with your lips contracted while squeezing your abs, keeping your upper arm completely still
- You can put a book on your stomach to make the exercise more difficult. Once you learn how to breathe on your belly while lying down, you can try it by sitting in a chair. After that, you can do it in your daily routine and apply it like breathing when exercising.
3. Breath concentration technique
This deep breathing technique uses images or very focused words and phrases. You can choose a focus word that makes you smile, relax, or simply help you focus while doing yoga. For example, the words peaceful, let go or relax, it can be any word suitable for you to focus and repeat while doing the breathing exercise.
Once you’ve focused on doing the breathing, you can start for 10 minutes straight. Gradually increase the duration until you can do at least 20 minutes.
- Sit or lie down in a comfortable place
- Start paying attention to your breath without changing the way you’re breathing
- Replace normal breathing with deep breathing. Notice the difference between normal breathing and deep breathing. Notice how your belly expands when you take a deep breath.
- Begin practicing focused breathing by combining deep breathing and a focused word or image to aid relaxation.
- You can feel the air you breathe in bringing a feeling of peace and calm throughout your body.
4. Alternately breathe through the nose
- Choose a comfortable seat
- Raise the right hand toward the nose, pressing the first and middle fingers toward the palm.
- After exhaling, use your thumb to gently close the right nostril
- Breathe in through your left nose and then, close your left nose with your little and ring finger
- Release your thumb and exhale through your right nose
- Breathe in through the right nostril and then close this nostril
- Release your finger to open the left nostril and exhale with this side
- Continue this breathing pattern for up to 5 minutes. End the practice with the left breath
5. Breathe like a humming bee
This humming breathing pattern is used as a way of breathing when exercising, especially when performing yoga exercises. The unique feel of this technique creates immediate calm and is particularly soothing around your forehead. Some people use this breathing pattern to relieve feelings of frustration, anxiety, and anger.
- Please choose a comfortable sitting position
- Close your eyes and relax your face
- Place your first fingers into the auricle cartilage that partially covers the ear canal
- Inhale, and as you exhale gently, press your fingers into the cartilage
- Keep your mouth closed, make a loud humming sound
You can try most of these breathing exercises right away. Take the time to experiment with different types of breathing techniques. Hopefully the above exercises can help you remove stress and fatigue in an instant. For more support on how to exercise effectively, especially for busy people, don’t forget to download easyhealthylive.com right away.
10 Breathing Techniques https://www.healthline.com/health/breathing-exercise Accessed: 7/13/2020
John Alen was born in 1971 and is a doctor in the healthcare and psychology fields with many years of experience. He is currently working at easyhealthylive.com, a leading health and psychology blog. Having studied at Y1 National Medical University named after IM Sechenov, John Alen is using his knowledge and experience to help improve the physical and mental health of people in the United States.