Constipation is a common symptom in people of all ages. What are the signs of severe constipation? What are the causes and consequences of constipation? Join Ocany to learn about the causes of constipation and how to prevent it through the following article!
What is Constipation?
Statistically, constipation is one of the most common health problems. In the United States, at least 2.5 million people each year visit the doctor for constipation.
Constipation is a state of hard, sad stools that cannot be passed, when you have to push hard, take a long time or many days to pass once and usually less than 3 times a week. This condition also often occurs and can lead to chronic constipation, prolonged constipation, causing the patient to strain a lot, causing burning pain. Prolonged, unrelenting constipation can be a warning sign of colon disease, hypercalcemia, hypothyroidism, lead poisoning, body weakness…
>>> See more: 23+ foods that are easy to digest, good for the gut
What are the signs of severe constipation?
As you know, food after digestion in the stomach will be moved through the intestinal system for digestion, where nutrients will be absorbed. Food after being partially digested by the small intestine will be contracted by the intestinal wall, pushing them to move to the large intestine (also known as the colon or colon).
The colon absorbs water from the waste, creating a solid substance called stool. If you are constipated, it may be because food may be moving too slowly through the large intestine. This causes the colon more time to absorb water from the stool, causing the stool to become dry and hard.
Therefore, severe constipation often occurs when your colon absorbs a lot of water from the stool, drying out the stool, making the stool too hard, forming large patches that are difficult to pass when you have a bowel movement.
Therefore, the familiar signs of constipation are:
- Passing stools less than 3 times a week;
- Difficulty defecation, have to push hard, use a lot of force because the stool is dry, harder than usual;
- You often feel like you haven’t passed all your stools even though you have passed a lot of stools;
- Technically, having a bowel movement less than three times a week is the definition of severe constipation. However, the frequency of constipation also varies from person to person. Some people have a bowel movement several times a day while others only have a bowel movement once or twice a week.
Not only that, the symptoms of constipation can last for a very long time, even weeks or months. You may also have signs of severe constipation, such as:
- Dry and hard stools with blood in them.
- The body always feels the urge to defecate, but each time it is quite small.
- Leaky anal stool or fecal incontinence.
- Or a dull stomach ache.
- Abnormally distended lower abdomen, or feeling of bloating.
- Anal pain when going to the toilet
- Hemorrhoids or signs of hemorrhoids.
- Nausea and vomiting continue throughout the day.
- The body has a slight fever or feels hot in the body.
What causes severe constipation?
There are two basic causes of long-term constipation, which can be mentioned as:
Cause 1: Outside the digestive system
- Underactive thyroidWhen the thyroid gland in the body does not produce enough hormones, it leads to a delay in metabolism, slows down the digestive process and causes constipation.
- DiabetesDiabetes: Diabetes causes the body to stop producing the hormone insulin to break down blood sugar. High sugar levels can lead to damage to the nervous system that controls the digestive system and cause constipation
- Stress, anxiety: When you are too stressed, anxiety will send signals to the digestive system and cause digestive disorders.
Cause 2: Physical damage to the digestive tract
This group of causes is often caused by diseases related to the gastrointestinal tract, such as colon diseases: congenital megacolon, large colon of unknown cause, chronic colitis or colon polyps, etc.
Consequences of long-term severe constipation
If constipation is not noticed and treated early, severe constipation will disrupt the functions of the colon, making it impossible for waste products to be eliminated. Failure to eliminate toxins for many days can cause rectal inflammation, allowing carcinogens to accumulate in the colon and rectum, leading to colon cancer.
Severe constipation is also one of the common signs of hemorrhoids. Stools that stay in the rectum for a long time will obstruct circulation, causing internal or external hemorrhoids. For a long time, hemorrhoids will progress faster and more severe, causing discomfort in activities and daily life.
Severe constipation in children, if parents let this situation persist without timely treatment or remedy, it will lead to serious consequences, affecting the health and psychology of children such as: : anorexia, reduce resistance, hemorrhoids …
- AnorexicConstipation: Long-term constipation causes stool to accumulate and cannot be expelled, causing abdominal distension, bloating and making children lose appetite, anorexia or indigestion, etc. This leads to anorexia, malabsorption. nutrition and cause malnutrition in children
- Reduced resistance: Not being fully supplemented with necessary nutrients will reduce the body’s resistance
- Hemorrhoids: A condition in which the veins in the rectum are swollen and inflamed due to too hard faeces pressing too hard when severe constipation, forming a venous plexus, also known as hemorrhoids. On the other hand, long-term stagnation of stool inside the rectum interferes with blood circulation and eventually leads to hemorrhoids.
How to treat severe constipation
Severe constipation causes many adverse effects on health and reduces quality of life. Ocany advises you on some measures for when there are signs of severe constipation.
Some effective home remedies for constipation
You can use the following folk ways to increase bowel movements, help soften stools and improve constipation:
- Use aloe vera: Mucus in aloe vera will have the effect of softening stools and promoting effective excretion. Therefore, you can directly use the aloe vera flesh mixed with a little rock sugar to drink when constipated.
- Black sesame: Black sesame seeds contain a lot of fat with the ability to lubricate the intestinal mucosa and increase intestinal motility. Therefore, you will be able to go to the toilet easier after 3-5 days of use.
- Vegetable spinach: Spinach is a familiar dish and very effective in improving constipation. Vegetables are rich in mucus, which softens stools and aids in smooth digestion.
>>> See more: 15 healthy drinks to drink every day
Use medication for constipation
If constipation persists after applying supportive measures, you can use the following drugs: under the guidance of professionals:
- Drugs that increase water retention in the intestinal lumen such as Sorbitol, Forlax.
- Laxatives such as Metamucil.
- Stool softeners such as Norgalax.
Suggest a reasonable diet for people with severe constipation
A scientific diet with a healthy lifestyle, regular exercise and exercise will help you not to worry about diseases and minimize the risk of prolonged constipation.
What to eat with severe constipation?
People with severe constipation should eat foods that contain a lot of fiber such as: Green vegetables, dried fruits, cereals, black bread, fresh fruits, brown rice … These foods contain a lot of fiber, pectin. Thereby creating favorable conditions for beneficial bacteria in the intestinal tract to develop to the maximum and inhibit the odor-causing process.
Eating fruits such as bananas, grapefruits, oranges, papayas, … helps stimulate the digestive system to develop. In addition, a diet rich in magnesium will also help improve intestinal motility such as milk, millet, sweet potatoes, cowpeas and some vegetables such as spinach, amaranth, jute, spinach …
If you have severe constipation, what diet should you eat?
After understanding the signs of severe constipation, next let’s find out what we should eat when we are constipated to limit this situation.
- Firstly, limit eating too much animal protein and consuming too much dairy products, especially high-protein milk, whey protein used in gym and bodybuilding.
- Do not eat refined foods such as porridge, thick soup from carrots or potatoes, etc.
- Avoid hot spicy foods, stimulants such as hot peppers or pepper.
- Avoid fried foods because these foods are rich in fats that are not good for the arteries as well as the digestive system.
How to prevent severe constipation?
To prevent severe constipation, you need to note a few points:
- Eating with a diet rich in fiber: The best sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, legumes, wholegrain breads and cereals.
- Make sure to drink at least 2 liters of water daily to prevent constipation.
- Absolutely avoid substances containing caffeine.
- Minimize animal fat in the daily menu (including dairy products and eggs).
- Have a bowel movement when there is a need and should not be fasted
- Exercise regularly, at least 30 minutes a day.
Constipation is a common digestive disease caused by many causes, depending on the Signs of severe constipation and what is the cause that people with severe constipation have an appropriate treatment plan. Preventing constipation by adding more fiber and maintaining a proper diet and exercise is the best way to prevent severe constipation.
John Alen was born in 1971 and is a doctor in the healthcare and psychology fields with many years of experience. He is currently working at easyhealthylive.com, a leading health and psychology blog. Having studied at Y1 National Medical University named after IM Sechenov, John Alen is using his knowledge and experience to help improve the physical and mental health of people in the United States.