Concern about people’s health is higher and higher, so drinking water is also a matter of more attention. In some places, groundwater is now used. However, direct use still has some bacteria of concern. So let’s go together Ocany learn about how to filter water with coal and sand.
Method of filtering well water with coal and sand
How to filter water with coal and sand is a method of using and combining natural water filter materials together. From there they create a water filtration cycle. Usually, when you filter water using sand, you will need to combine it with some other materials such as: yellow sand, black sand, manganese sand, quartz sand, activated carbon, etc.
The application of a water filtration and treatment system like this will help your family’s water source become clearer, cleaner and safer for health. Because, filtering water with sand will help remove impurities, dirt, suspended substances, pathogens in water.
It is for this reason that sand water filters in the countryside are always popular with Vietnamese families.
The effect of water purification with coal and sand
To understand the special effects of how to filter water using coal and sand, you should learn in detail about each use of the materials you need to prepare to be able to make a water filter tank for a drilled well at home.
Water filtration with sand is considered a fairly simple but very effective way to filter water. Some of the main benefits of this water purification method are:
Helps remove organic impurities such as pesticides, pesticides and heavy metals often contained in water such as iron, sodium, etc.
Removes all cations or anion particles while helping to balance the substances in the water to create sweetness and soften the water.
Reducing iron and Arsenic in water, helping to stabilize the pH of the water within a safe range, can reduce the oil content.
Remove excess fluorine in water and heavy metals in water such as copper, zinc, chromium, nickel..
The application of sand and coal to filter water
For water filter sand, you can use a filter tank to filter daily water for your family or in areas for a certain number of users. It will create a cleaner and safer source of filtered water for you and your family.
How to filter water with coal and sand for a simple well
Normally, to have a water filter tank with sand and gravel particles, we need to combine 6 types of water filter materials together. But usually we will not have to mix them up, but we have to divide them into compartments, each fixed layer – each layer will be equivalent to 1 material.
So how should these layers be arranged in order to bring the highest water filtration efficiency? Let’s find out how to arrange these materials with Ocany now!
- Layer 1 – Quartz gravel layer: Quartz gravel is usually large in size, so we often use it as a bottom lining to and protect the water pipe to the outside from being small gravel through. Usually this layer will have a thickness of about 10-15cm
- 2nd layer – This is a large layer of quartz sand, usually about 20cm thick
- 3rd layer – Manganese sand layer, this is the layer that usually has the main effect of reducing manganese in water, usually this layer will also be about 15-20cm thick
- 4th layer – Activated carbon layer: for activated carbon, you should not use fine powdered coal, but should use pellets to prevent the coal from being washed away and corroded. This layer of activated carbon will be arranged with a thickness of about 20-30 cm
- 5th layer – Quartz sand layer: For this second layer of quartz sand, it will be arranged thinner than the first, only about 10cm
- 6th layer – Golden sand layer: Normally, yellow sand will help the water after filtering become clearer and this layer will be arranged with a thickness of no more than 10cm
- 7th layer – Black sand layer: This is the top layer of well water filters, black sand is similar to yellow sand, the thickness of this layer is only about 10cm.
In addition, you should also prepare a shower to use as a shower so that when using water, the molecules will now be in contact with more oxygen in the air. When exposed to such oxygen, many metals present in the water will react and gradually reduce toxicity to your family’s water supply.
In particular, you can also use mechanical floats or electric floats to automatically pump water when the water used in the tank is about to run out.
Advantages of water filtration with sand and coal
As above, we have shown you how to filter water with coal and sand, hyax and Ocany consider the advantages of this method:
- Low cost, low cost to install.
- Good water purification effect, effective water treatment, can remove most kinds of impurities in water.
- Durable materials are relatively cheap, but should be cleaned once every 6 months to ensure, can be reused many times and ensure environmental hygiene.
- Handles many heavy metals remaining in the water.
- Easy to install, quite simple to operate, not too much maintenance.
Questions about how to filter water with coal and sand
This is not a new method, but water filtration also receives many related questions such as:
Does water filtration with coal and sand remove heavy metals?
Usually this way of filtering water can remove a small part of heavy metals present in water. Because this method is also quite rudimentary and simple, the efficiency is relatively good, but it is not possible to filter thoroughly.
Therefore, you should note that this water can be used for activities such as bathing, washing, watering plants comfortably, and for eating and drinking, it should be boiled before drinking to remove all harmful bacteria.
Should sand and coal be used to filter well water?
The answer is yes, because this use will be very suitable for the person who is using the well. It will help you remove a large part of impurities before going into use.
How often should the sand in the water filter be changed?
The time it takes to clean the coal and sand in the water filter tank will depend on the level of contamination of the water in the area you use it. Usually the replacement time will be in the range of 4-5 months. However, for the best, the sand should be washed and cleaned every 3 months.
Above are some simple ways to filter water with coal and sand that we can use. Note that after filtering water for drinking use, it should still be boiled to remove all potentially harmful bacteria.
John Alen was born in 1971 and is a doctor in the healthcare and psychology fields with many years of experience. He is currently working at easyhealthylive.com, a leading health and psychology blog. Having studied at Y1 National Medical University named after IM Sechenov, John Alen is using his knowledge and experience to help improve the physical and mental health of people in the United States.