Tomatoes are one of the fruits with high nutritional content. The use of tomatoes will bring many health benefits. However, many people still believe that eating a lot of tomatoes leads to weight gain. To answer the question of how many calories are in tomato juice, you need to read the following article.
Nutritional composition of tomato juice
The health benefits of tomatoes often come from outstanding nutritional components such as:
The fiber content in tomatoes is very rich, because each medium-sized tomato provides up to 1.5 grams of fiber. In which, insoluble fiber accounts for 87%, usually in the form of lignin, cellulose and hemicellulose.
Tomatoes are rich in fiber, which helps create a feeling of fullness for a long time because it takes a long time to break down and digest. As a result, you will also have less appetite.
Tomato is a vegetable, so the fat content in tomatoes contains very little or no.
Vitamins and minerals
Tomatoes are considered a vegetable that helps the body to supplement many minerals and vitamins such as:
- Vitamin C: antioxidant properties, each medium-sized tomato meets 28% of the RDI (a reference daily vitamin intake).
- Vitamin K1: plays an important role in blood clotting and supports bone health.
- Vitamin B9: involved in tissue growth and cell function.
- Potassium: very beneficial for controlling blood pressure of the body and preventing cardiovascular diseases.
Other plant compounds
Tomatoes contain a variety of antioxidants and plant compounds that are extremely beneficial for health. Especially:
- Lycopene: is the compound that makes the red pigment of tomatoes, has antioxidant properties and is widely studied by scientists for its good health effects.
- Beta carotene: The compound that gives tomatoes their orange or yellow color, and is converted into vitamin A when entering your body.
- Naringenin: Is a compound of the flavonoid group, found in many tomato skins and has the effect of reducing inflammation as well as preventing some diseases.
- Chlorogenic Acid: A powerful antioxidant with the ability to lower blood pressure.
How many calories in tomato juice?
How many calories in 1 glass of tomato juice? A typical glass of tomato juice is estimated to use about 250g of tomatoes. The amount of tomatoes corresponds to about 50 calories.
When you drink vegetable juice, you will not consume as much fiber as if you eat the whole vegetable because much of the fiber has been removed during the juicing process.
Great effects when drinking tomato juice
You often drink tomatoes but still do not know what the effects of tomatoes are. Let’s find out what are the benefits of tomato juice!
Support for heart health
Heart disease is one of the leading causes of death in the world.
One study in middle-aged men linked low blood levels of lycopene and beta-carotene with an increased risk of heart attack and stroke. There is growing evidence from clinical trials that taking lycopene supplements can help you lower LDL (bad) cholesterol, one of the main causes of heart disease.
Studies have also shown that tomato consumption has benefits against inflammation and markers of oxidative stress because tomatoes are rich in antioxidants. The substances in tomatoes also work to protect the inner layer of blood vessels and reduce the risk of blood clots. These are all heart-healthy benefits that protect against and protect against heart disease.
Cancer is the uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells that spread beyond their normal boundaries, often invading other parts of the body.
Scientific research has shown that tomatoes and tomato products can reduce the risk of certain types of cancer. Such as prostate cancer, lung cancer or stomach cancer. The reason is that tomatoes contain many antioxidants and anti-inflammatory substances.
In addition, carotenoid levels in tomatoes have also been linked to protection against breast cancer.
Tomatoes contain large amounts of vitamin A and vitamin C, which are two vitamins that can help prevent night blindness and improve vision. Vitamin A found in tomatoes can prevent macular degeneration, which can lead to blindness, and reduce the risk of cataracts.
In addition, other antioxidants found in tomatoes such as lutein, lycopene and zeaxanthin also contribute to protecting eye health.
Improve blood sugar
Consuming tomatoes will have the ability to lower blood sugar because tomatoes contain relatively little carbohydrate content. Besides, the fiber content and chromium minerals in tomatoes can also help control blood sugar, thereby reducing the risk of diabetes.
Help strengthen bones
With the content of vitamin K and calcium in tomatoes, it contributes to making your bones strong, as well as preventing common osteoporosis.
Tomatoes are very beneficial for skin health. Tomatoes have long been used in a variety of skin beauty treatments and products. Tomatoes and tomato products are rich in lycopene and other plant compounds that may protect against sunburn.
According to one study, people who ate about 40 grams of tomato paste that provided 16 mg of lycopene per day for 10 weeks experienced a 40% reduction in sunburn.
In addition, the antioxidants present in tomatoes also contribute to slowing down the aging process of the skin, helping you maintain a more beautiful youthful appearance.
Support weight loss
Tomatoes are a low-fat, almost cholesterol-free fruit, so you can add this food to your diet for those on a diet. In addition, thanks to the high fiber and water content, your stomach will also feel full for longer, helping to reduce cravings, thereby losing weight more effectively and healthier.
How to prepare tomato juice
Before learning how many calories in tomato juice? You can make pure tomato juice or you can also combine it with some other fruits to help change the taste and drink more deliciously. Check out the ways to make tomato juice for weight loss below:
Pure tomato juice
Ingredient: 2 large ripe tomatoes or 15 cherry tomatoes.
- Tomatoes are washed, then soaked in dilute salt water for 10 to 15 minutes, taken out to dry, and then cut the areca pods.
- Put the tomatoes inside the juicer and squeeze out the juice. Or you can also put it in a blender to puree and filter out the residue.
- Pour tomato juice into a glass, then add ice and enjoy.
Apple and carrot tomato juice
- Tomatoes: 3
- Carrots: 3
- Apples: 3
- Honey: 1-2 teaspoons
- Wash the tomatoes and apples then cut them into slices. Peel the carrots, then wash and cut them into pieces.
- Put all the above ingredients into the juicer, press to get the juice.
- Pour the tomato juice mixture into a glass, add honey and add ice as you like.
Celery Tomato Juice
- Celery: 3 branches
- Tomato: 1 ripe fruit
- Carrots: 2
- Green apples: 1-2 apples
- Kale: 1/2 small bunch
- Celery and kale remove the roots and wash, then cut into short pieces. Tomatoes and green apples are washed and cut into small pieces. Peel the carrots, wash the carrots and cut them into pieces.
- Put all the above-prepared ingredients into the juicer and squeeze out the juice.
- Pour weight loss tomato juice into a glass and enjoy.
How to make pineapple and tomato juice
- Tomatoes: 4 ripe
- Pineapple: 1 fruit
- Wash tomatoes thoroughly. Peel the pineapple and cut it into medium pieces.
- Put the tomatoes and pineapple inside the juicer, squeeze the juice.
- Pour pineapple tomato juice into a glass, add ice as you like and enjoy.
How many calories are in tomatoes?
How many calories does tomato juice contain? The effect of tomatoes comes from the benefits of carbs, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals inherent in this fruit. Each 100g of tomatoes will contain about 18 calories along with a water content of about 95% and outstanding nutrients such as:
- Carbs: 3.9g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 0.9gr
- Fat: 0.2g
- Sugar: 2.6g
Is it good to eat a lot of tomatoes?
Above is information about how many calories in tomato juice? In general, tomatoes are very safe for the health of users and have almost no side effects. However, if you consume a large amount of tomatoes, it can cause the following disadvantages:
Affects the digestive system
In fact, tomatoes are also considered one of the causes of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Because tomatoes contain a significant amount of citric acid and malic acid, it will cause acid reflux.
Moreover, it has been found that the habit of eating a lot of tomatoes also causes other digestive problems such as bloating or diarrhea, etc. as well as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in general.
Eating a lot of tomatoes is not good for the bladder and kidneys
Consuming tomatoes along with some acidic foods and caffeinated drinks (such as tea or coffee) can also irritate the bladder, thereby increasing the risk of certain diseases. urinary tract diseases.
Besides, tomatoes are also not beneficial for people with kidney disease, even if they only consume a little or a lot. Because of the calcium and oxalate content in tomatoes, it will cause kidney stones to form, which is detrimental to those with kidney problems.
May cause allergies and change skin color
People who have a predisposition to tomato allergy or allergies in general, may be sensitive to some of the allergenic compounds found in tomatoes such as superoxide dismutase, profiling, b-fructofuranosidase, pectinesterase, polygalacturonase, and protein. cyclophilin lipid conversion function.
Not only that, it was also found that lycopene compounds, when accumulated in a lot in the blood, will not cause any significant harm, but can make your skin color change such as the skin from skin color to slightly yellow. orange (but may also disappear shortly).
Some important notes when eating tomatoes
Avoid using raw tomatoes when they are still too green or too young.
It is necessary to wash tomatoes with diluted salt water or vegetable washing solution before preliminary processing.
Avoid eating tomatoes for people with acute gastritis or colitis, because it will make the disease worse.
Limit eating tomatoes on an empty stomach, because phenol compounds and colloids in this fruit easily cause adhesions in the stomach, causing abdominal distension and stomach pain.
How to choose to buy tomatoes
To choose to buy the best tomato with the optimal nutrient content, you need to pay attention to the ways to choose tomatoes as follows:
- The fruit stalk looks fresh and sticks to the fruit body.
- The skin is shiny, you can choose the color or uneven color, but make sure that the fruit is not scratched, wrinkled or bruised.
- Hold it in your hand and feel the tomato firmness.
- With ripe tomatoes, you will smell a characteristic faint aroma.
With the above sharing, hope you know more about how many calories in tomato juice, is it good to eat tomatoes and how to choose tomatoes so that they are delicious. Wish you have a useful juice in your meal from this fruit.
- How many calories are in carrot juice? Drink to lose weight?
- How many calories in pineapple juice? Drink pineapple juice to lose weight
John Alen was born in 1971 and is a doctor in the healthcare and psychology fields with many years of experience. He is currently working at easyhealthylive.com, a leading health and psychology blog. Having studied at Y1 National Medical University named after IM Sechenov, John Alen is using his knowledge and experience to help improve the physical and mental health of people in the United States.