Worry and stress can delay your period is a concern of many women. Because many people experience delayed menstruation, even amenorrhea during times of stress. The information in the article will help answer the above question and suggest some more effective remedies.
Can anxiety and stress delay your period?
A missed period is a period in which a period comes later than the previous months. Normally, a woman’s menstrual cycle will range from 25-35 days depending on location and health status. Missed periods can be caused by a variety of reasons, such as pregnancy, the effects of health problems, or anxiety or stress.
Currently, many women suffer from menstrual disorders in general and missed periods in particular due to nervous tension. Stress is a state of the central nervous system that is inhibited due to pressures in work, life, financial problems, disagreements in parenting, etc. In fact, in addition to the effects on health Mental, stress is also the cause of delayed periods that many people do not pay attention to.
When stressed, the adrenal glands increase production of the hormone cortisol. Elevated cortisol will disrupt the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis. This axis system is the organ that produces female hormones and regulates ovulation and menstruation. Disturbance of the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis will cause abnormal levels of estrogen, progesterone, FSH, LH, GnRh, etc.
The result is an irregularity in the ovulation process that leads to a missed period. Some even do not ovulate and experience amenorrhea (no period). The female endocrine system is very sensitive to stress, anxiety and negative emotions. Therefore, stress can cause delayed menstruation and significantly affect female physiological function.
Delayed menstrual period due to stress
A missed period can happen for a variety of reasons. Among them, excessive stress and anxiety are quite common causes. To determine the right cause, you can rely on some of the following symptoms:
- Menstrual period is 3 to 5 days late
- Feeling anxious, stressed and easily angry, irritable
- Facial skin has acne, the surface of the skin secretes a lot of excess oil due to an increase in the hormone cortisol
- There are signs of weight gain, loss of appetite or excessive appetite
- Difficulty falling asleep, insomnia and reduced sleep quality
How to overcome anxiety and stress that cause missed periods
The stability of the menstrual cycle is an important factor for women’s physiological and reproductive health. Nervous stress will cause ovulation and menstruation to go unplanned. This makes it difficult for women to find the right date to increase the rate of conception.
Even too much stress causes amenorrhea (no period). Although not a direct cause, but delayed menstruation and menstrual disorders significantly affect the reproductive health of women. Therefore, women need to intervene with remedial measures when experiencing anxiety and stress that cause missed periods.
1. Take measures to reduce stress
Stress is a direct cause of the disorder of female hormones and delays the time of ovulation. Therefore, the first thing you need to do is to take measures to reduce stress.
Measures to help reduce stress and improve menstrual delay due to anxiety and stress:
- Yoga: Practicing yoga is an effective stress reliever and helps a lot in regulating menstruation in women. Yoga exercises are usually gentle in intensity and can be flexibly adjusted depending on the condition of each person. Practicing yoga every day helps relieve stress, depression and effectively improves physical health.
- Use herbal tea: You can use some herbal teas such as wormwood tea, lettuce tea, etc. to improve the status of delayed menstruation. These teas also have sedative effects and improve sleep quality, thereby helping to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Share with friends and family: Stress is inevitable – especially in modern life. However, sharing with those around you worries and concerns will help you relieve stress and regain positive energy. By managing stress and anxiety, you can regulate your period and improve your missed period effectively.
- Massage: Massage is an effective stress reliever that can be done at home. After tiring working hours, women can massage the neck, shoulders, back and head area with natural essential oils. When you massage, the body will produce endorphins that help relax and reduce cortisol levels in the blood. In addition to reducing stress, massage also helps improve sleep quality and create a more uplifting spirit the next morning.
In modern life, stress is unavoidable. Therefore, each person needs to equip themselves with effective stress reduction measures to be able to control stress and negative emotions.
2. Building a healthy, scientific lifestyle
A healthy, scientific lifestyle will help regulate hormone disorders and stabilize the menstrual cycle. In addition to taking measures to reduce stress, women should adjust their lifestyle to effectively improve late period.
Lifestyle helps to overcome the delay of menstruation due to anxiety and stress:
- Make sure you get 7-8 hours of sleep a day for hormone production to take place. This will help a lot in reducing stress and improving menstrual disorders.
- Balance study, work and rest time. Because working more than 8 hours a day will make the brain stressed and “accidentally” disrupt the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis system.
- If the work is too much, you should plan to work scientifically to be able to solve the task quickly and accurately. In case of necessity, it is advisable to discuss with your superiors about your health status to reduce your workload. In fact, many people suffer from depression in the workplace due to constantly having to work under high pressure.
- Building a reasonable diet can improve menstrual delay and help relieve nervous tension. Women who are under stress, excessive anxiety should increase green vegetables, yogurt, fruits and cool foods. Limit the use of alcohol, coffee, foods high in fat and spices.
- Daily exercise is an effective way to regulate menstruation. In addition, this habit also helps relieve stress, depression and gives the body abundant energy.
3. Psychological counseling
Anxiety and stress sometimes stem from difficult problems in life. If necessary, you should see a psychologist for support. Currently, many people face persistent stress leading to psychological and mental disorders such as anxiety disorders, depression, neurasthenia, etc.
In case you cannot relieve stress, you should see a psychologist for counseling and therapy. When stress is controlled, the status of amenorrhea and amenorrhea will be significantly improved.
Anxiety and stress are common causes of missed periods that many people don’t pay attention to. Hopefully, through the sharing in the article, you can control stress and improve your period delay effectively. In cases of prolonged amenorrhea and severe stress, consider seeing a psychologist for support.