When you have diarrhea, you need to drink more water to replenish the lost water in the body. Especially the types of electrolyte water can be mentioned as coconut water, alkaline ionized water. So the question is “Diarrhea should drink coconut water??”. To answer this question, please read and follow the following article of Ocany!
Common symptoms of diarrhea
Diarrhea is the passage of three or more loose stools than usual. When a person has diarrhea, the patient’s body will show some symptoms such as:
- First, loose stools, then water.
- Dull abdominal pain and sometimes writhing pain.
- There are symptoms such as nausea and vomiting.
- Headache or migraine.
- Poor appetite, pale mouth.
- Always feeling thirsty, dry neck, dehydrated.
- Frequent bowel movements, defecation and signs of wanting to push.
>>> See more: How many calories in coconut water? Is drinking coconut water fat?
Diarrhea should drink coconut water, doctor’s answer
For milder forms of diarrhea, the treatment is usually just to replace the amount of fluid lost through drinking water, or solutions containing electrolytes. In particular, coconut water is also one of the oldest remedies to help prevent dehydration due to diarrhea due to causes such as:
- Coconut water is rich in electrolytes and minerals, which help replenish minerals lost from the body due to diarrhea as well as reduce dehydration.
- Coconut water helps remove harmful substances to help the body quickly recover.
- Coconut water is an isotonic solution that contains similar levels of electrolytes as found in the body.
- Coconut water contains lauric acid, so when entering the body, it will convert to monolaurin, which helps the body fight viruses, intestinal worms, parasites, antibacterial and gastrointestinal infections.
- Coconut water is a sterile liquid, low in calories, low in fat but rich in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. In fact, coconut water contains twice as much potassium as bananas, so it can help balance muscle health, heart health as well as nervous and immune systems.
Although it is advisable to drink coconut water with diarrhea, it is still necessary to pay attention to the following:
- Should drink coconut water every 2-3 hours, do not drink on an empty stomach because it will easily cause chills and abdominal pain.
- Although coconut water contains enough potassium and glucose to compensate the body. However, the content of sodium and chloride is relatively low, so to ensure better health, patients should add a small amount of salt to coconut water to make up for this deficiency.
- Patients with gastroenteritis can also opt for coconut water as a rehydration method.
- Coconut water also has the effect of soothing the stomach lining and reducing acid, preventing stomach complications, so people with stomach problems can drink coconut water regularly.
- Coconut water is safe for most people such as pregnant women, children and the elderly with diarrhea or dehydration. However, you still need to make sure you drink the right amount, not too much.
>>> See more: 15+ types of drinks to quickly and effectively restore physical strength
What to do when you have diarrhea?
You already know whether to drink coconut water with diarrhea, then when you have diarrhea, you need to determine if the cause leads to such frequent bowel movements. If the cause is not caused by dangerous diseases, you can remedy this situation at home by the following ways:
Replenish water and electrolytes for the body quickly
Dehydration during diarrhea will make the patient feel tired. Therefore, when having diarrhea, the patient needs to quickly rehydrate by drinking water such as filtered water, fruit juice or oresol solutions that are mixed according to the correct formula and ratio.
>>> See more: What is electrolyte water? 10 types of water to help replenish electrolytes quickly
Replenish nutrients when having diarrhea
In addition to rehydration, when you have diarrhea, you should also replenish nutrients through soft, easy-to-digest foods. In addition, people with diarrhea should avoid eating foods that are high in fat, fat, hot spicy foods or using stimulants.
Add more probiotics
Patients can add probiotics from yogurt or daily foods to support the digestive system to recover faster.
How to drink coconut water correctly when having diarrhea
In addition to the answer to whether to drink coconut water for diarrhea, Ocany also offers a few notes on how to use coconut water appropriately for people with diarrhea:
How to drink coconut water when diarrhea
- The interval between 2 drinks of coconut water is from 2 to 3 hours.
- Drink coconut water about 1 hour before each meal. Do not drink coconut water in the evening and on an empty stomach because it will easily cause abdominal pain and chills.
- When having diarrhea should only drink 1 coconut / day. Excessive use of coconut water will cause bloating, even counterproductive.
- Should drink slowly, should not drink large amounts of coconut water at the same time or drink too quickly.
- Coconut water is suitable for adults, the elderly and children with diarrhea. However, people with chronic kidney disease, high blood pressure, cold hands and feet, slow digestion should not use this water. In particular, pregnant women should consult a doctor before using coconut water to treat diarrhea.
Some objects to note when drinking coconut water
Coconut water is a drink that brings many health benefits, however, some of the following people should still consider when drinking coconut water:
- People with low blood pressure: Coconut water can help lower blood pressure and is suitable for hypertensive patients, who often suffer from low blood pressure should be cautious when drinking coconut water.
- People with high levels of potassium in the blood: Coconut water contains a lot of potassium, so it can make nervousness, palpitations and increase heart rate.
- People with kidney disease should consult a doctor when drinking coconut water because coconut water is rich in potassium. When the kidneys fail, the kidneys will not be able to excrete more potassium. Therefore, it is most essential to monitor potassium levels in the later stages of renal failure to avoid creating an additional burden on the kidneys.
Above are Ocany’s shares to answer the problem Diarrhea should drink coconut water or not?. Hopefully, it will help you gain more useful knowledge as well as make more useful choices in your daily diet to have a healthy digestive system.
John Alen was born in 1971 and is a doctor in the healthcare and psychology fields with many years of experience. He is currently working at easyhealthylive.com, a leading health and psychology blog. Having studied at Y1 National Medical University named after IM Sechenov, John Alen is using his knowledge and experience to help improve the physical and mental health of people in the United States.