In addition to its physical health benefits, turmeric has been shown to elevate mood and stabilize neurotransmitters. Thanks to these effects, many patients choose to treat depression with turmeric to improve and manage the disease.
Learn about the anti-depressant effects of turmeric
Turmeric is an herb native to India that is often used to add color and flavor to food. Not just a common spice, turmeric is also used as a medicine. According to the experience of traditional medicine, turmeric has a spicy, slightly sweet taste, soldering properties, beneficial effects of stagnation, clearing heat and blood, only system, active blood, … This herb is often used for treatment. treat blood diseases and stomachache.
Currently, modern medicine has found in turmeric biologically active substances such as Curcumin, Coumarin, etc. In which, Curcumin is a strong antioxidant with good antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects, especially effective. in the prevention and treatment of common health problems.
Many studies have shown that curcumin in turmeric can reduce the symptoms of depression. The study was conducted in volunteers between the ages of 51 and 84. The volunteers were divided into 2 groups, in which one group received a placebo and the other was supplemented with curcumin extracted from turmeric for 18 months. .
At the end of the study, the researchers found that dementia and symptoms of illness in the curcumin group were significantly reduced, and memory capacity also improved by up to 28%. In addition, experts also found that curcumin significantly reduced two proteins that cause brain tumors (amyloid-β and tau).
In addition, experts have also found that curcumin in turmeric can improve mood and bring euphoria and optimism – this effect is especially pronounced in patients with depression. Curcumin and the minerals in turmeric also help improve physical symptoms caused by depression such as insomnia, headaches, stomach pain, body weakness, etc.
Following the results of this study, many studies have also been done to evaluate the effectiveness of turmeric in treating depression. In particular, a study conducted in 2014 showed that curcumin in turmeric has the same effect as the antidepressant fluoxetin but with fewer side effects.
Experts believe that curcumin increases levels of BDNF – a neurotransmitter in the brain that can improve mood and repel negative emotions. Besides, balancing neurotransmitters also helps to improve sleep, enhance memory and cognition.
In addition, Curcumin also has anti-inflammatory effects, eliminating free radicals, restoring and regenerating nerve cells. Through its powerful mood-enhancing and antioxidant mechanisms, turmeric can control mental and physical symptoms in patients with depression.
Using turmeric to treat depression is a supportive measure besides the main methods such as pharmacotherapy, psychotherapy, healthy lifestyle, etc. Therefore, patients can apply this measure to control and manage successful disease.
Instructions on how to treat depression with simple turmeric
There are many ways to cure depression with turmeric. Patients can use drinks, dishes from turmeric or take oral tablets containing Curcumin to improve the disease. Here are some simple and easy ways that patients can refer to:
1. Use turmeric tea
Turmeric tea is a healthy drink, especially for patients with depression. This tea has a characteristic aroma, delicious taste and is easy to drink. Drinking turmeric tea regularly can improve symptoms of depression, promote digestive activity, eliminate free radicals and protect health.
If you often have insomnia, you can use turmeric tea in the evening. Turmeric tea has a bitter taste, so patients can add rock sugar or honey to enhance the taste.
Instructions for making turmeric tea:
- Put 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass and stir well with 200ml
- Then add rock sugar and honey
- Drink tea while it is still warm, use up to 1 cup per day or can be used when tired, having trouble sleeping
2. Drinking turmeric milk helps treat depression
In addition to turmeric tea, patients can also use turmeric milk to treat depression. Turmeric milk is a nutrient-dense drink that provides plenty of energy along with antioxidants, essential vitamins and minerals.
Besides the abundant Curcumin content from turmeric, this drink also contains a lot of tryptophan from cow’s milk. Tryptophan is an amino acid required for the production of serotonin and melatonin. In particular, serotonin helps increase mood, relax, relieve pain and create a spirit of euphoria. Melatonin is a hormone produced by the pineal gland at night to induce sleep and induce deep sleep.
Patients with depression should take turmeric milk every evening to improve sleep and elevate mood. In addition, this drink also helps to increase the taste and prevent depression.
Instructions for making turmeric milk:
- Prepare 200ml of cow’s milk and 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Bring cow’s milk to a boil, then add turmeric powder and stir well
- You can add a little honey and cinnamon powder to enhance the taste
- Drink turmeric milk while it is still warm and best used before going to bed
3. Cure depression with turmeric tablets
Turmeric starch is extracted from fresh turmeric with abundant Curcumin and mineral content. Thanks to its strong and diverse biological activity, turmeric is used to treat many different diseases. Therefore, turmeric starch tablets are manufactured to be easy for everyone to use instead of taking time to process.
When suffering from depression, patients can take turmeric tablets to improve health and enhance mood. However, you should consult your doctor before use. In addition, it is necessary to choose turmeric tablets of reputable brands to avoid buying products that have been doped and contain many flavors.
Or you can also make your own turmeric tablets by mixing turmeric powder with honey, then rolling the balls and coat with a layer of dried turmeric on the outside. This will ensure that the turmeric is pure, but it will be difficult to adjust the dosage.
4. Supplement dishes from turmeric
Turmeric is a familiar spice used to prepare many delicious dishes. This spice is often used to color dishes and deodorize certain foods. To improve depression, patients can use dishes from turmeric such as stir-fried beef with turmeric, fish braised with turmeric, curry, chicken braised with lemongrass and turmeric, etc.
Turmeric-based dishes are not only rich in nutrients but also have a delicious taste that helps stimulate taste buds and cravings. People with depression often experience loss of appetite due to a drop in serotonin. Therefore, patients can supplement dishes from turmeric to improve taste and improve health.
Some notes when treating depression with turmeric
Treatment of depression with turmeric is a supportive measure in the treatment process. This remedy can improve mood, reduce insomnia, headaches and protect nerve cells. However, before applying it, patients need to keep a few things in mind:
1. Objects should not use technology
Turmeric is a natural herb, so it is safe, benign and has almost no side effects. If turmeric is used to treat depression, patients often have to take high doses for a long time. In this case, the activity of turmeric can cause side effects in some of the following subjects:
- Pregnant women: Taking high doses of turmeric can cause prolonged bleeding and irritation of the uterus. Therefore, pregnant women should not treat depression with turmeric. If applicable, only turmeric-based dishes or teas and turmeric milk should be used 1-2 times a week to ensure safety. In addition, use should be discontinued 4-5 weeks before delivery to avoid bleeding complications.
- People preparing for surgery: Because of the anticoagulant effect, patients about to have surgery should not take turmeric and other herbs with similar effects. Using turmeric in this case can cause prolonged bleeding complications.
- Other objects: In addition, patients also need to be cautious when treating depression with turmeric if they have kidney stones, gallstones, blood clotting disorders and are taking anticoagulant drugs.
2. Pay attention to the dosage
Turmeric is an herb with relatively strong activity. Therefore, patients need to use the right dosage to limit side effects. In case of being used to treat depression, it is recommended to use only 1-3 teaspoons per day.
For turmeric tablets, the dosage will be printed on the package by the manufacturer. Using the right dosage will help limit side effects, and bring good effects in improving health and controlling symptoms of depression.
If you are concerned about turmeric causing side effects, you should only use turmeric-based foods and drinks. Limit direct intake of turmeric because it contains high levels of Curcumin and Coumarin.
3. Turmeric can interact with drugs
Turmeric can interact with some medications leading to side effects. Therefore, if you are taking medication, you should consult your doctor before taking it in combination with turmeric. Turmeric has been shown to interact with the following medications:
- Stomach antacids
- Medications to treat diabetes
- Iron supplement pills
4. Other issues to note
Cure depression with turmeric is a supportive solution besides using drugs and psychotherapy. Turmeric has been shown to elevate mood, improve memory, sleep, and reduce physical symptoms caused by depression. However, to ensure the effectiveness of the application, patients need to pay attention to a few more issues:
- The cure for depression with turmeric is not a substitute for medical methods. Therefore, patients still need guided medication and psychotherapeutic interventions for successful disease management.
- Do not use alcohol, tobacco, stimulants and limit the use of too many caffeinated drinks to ensure effective treatment.
- Turmeric is a natural herb, but it can still cause allergies and irritation. If abnormal symptoms are noticed, the patient should stop applying and go to the hospital in case of need.
- The cure for depression with turmeric is quite slow, so it needs to be persevered for a long time.
- Depression is an emotional disorder linked to genetics, trauma, and stress. To control this pathology, patients should apply treatment measures with a scientific and healthy lifestyle.
Turmeric has been shown to effectively improve mood, reduce sadness, anxiety and improve health. However, this remedy is only supportive and is not a substitute for medical methods. Therefore, patients need to combine medical treatment with other measures to successfully control the disease.